Michael Thigpen

Michael Thigpen

An Auburn man responsible for the death of his five-month-old baby as well as harm to two more of his children pled guilty in a Logan County Circuit Court Feb. 21st and is facing 10 or more years in prison for second-degree manslaughter and two counts of second-degree assault.

Michael Thigpen, 34, was arrested in September 2017, for leaving his three small children inside a family van on June 10, 2017, which resulted in the death of his baby, and the hospitalization of his two other small children due to severe heat.

When first questioned by police, Thigpen denied knowing what had happened to the children. He had claimed at one time that he slept in one end of the trailer they were staying in and the children slept in the other end. He has told authorities that the air conditioner unit in the room where the children were sleeping lost power, causing the room to get hotter.

According to a police report, Thigpen finally admitted he left the children in the van and went inside the trailer he was living in at the time in John's Mobile Home Park in Auburn and fell asleep. He advised police that once he realized the children were in the vehicle, he brought them inside the trailer attempting to cool them down with Pedialyte and placing cold rags on them.

At a preliminary hearing in the case, lead detective Charles Dauley testified that the baby had died of hyperthermia.

Thigpen, who underwent a psychiatric evaluation at the Kentucky Correctional Psychiatric Center (KCPC) in LaGrange, was found to be competent to face the crimes he was being charged with.

Thigpen had been initially indicted on second-degree manslaughter, three counts each of first-degree wanton endangerment, tampering with physical evidence and failure to report child neglect/abuse.

Second-degree manslaughter is a class C felony punishable by imprisonment for between five and ten years. Second-degree assault is a Class C Felony and the penalty is 5-10 years. Final sentencing is scheduled for March 14 at 8:30 a.m.

Special prosecutor Rick Boling out of Hopkinsville-Christian County handled the case.