Logan County Good Samaritan wishes to remind citizens if they need help filing their taxes, Good Sam is here to help. Good Samaritan offers the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

“Good Samaritan, through VITA, offers several options for getting your taxes filed,” said Denise McDonald, Executive Director for Logan County Good Samaritan. “IRS certified preparers can prepare and file your return while you wait or through a drop off service.”

The annual income limit to prepare is $56,000. There is no annual income limit and to self file. You can self file by visiting myfreetaxes.com.

“Also offered is the free self-file service where the computer, printer, and internet access is provided and IRS certified preparers can answer most questions the taxpayer may have while filing their own taxes,” MacDonald added.

The assisted self-filing option offers taxpayers the ability to prepare their return at home or in the Good Samaritan office.

Should a taxpayer decide to file at home and later discover that they need assistance or just want someone certified to double-check the return, they can save the return and then call the office for an appointment to complete the return with assistance.

“We are excited to be providing the drop off service again this year,” said McDonald. “This allows us to increase the number of people we can assist while relieving stress on both the preparers and taxpayers. An Intake/Interview sheet is used for all returns prepared by VITA sites. These may be picked up at the Good Samaritan office or by visiting our website www.logancounty goodsam.com and going to “Services Offered” then “Tax Preparation” and clicking on the link.”

Whether volunteers file the tax return or the taxpayers file themselves, all taxpayers receive a copy of their return and an envelope to keep it and their records in. All services are provided by appointment only.

Logan County Good Samaritan is located at 602 East 4th Street, Russellville. The tax office is open Monday through Thursdays from 2:30-5 p.m. and Friday and Saturdays 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Please call 270-725-9002 during these times.

What to bringProof of identification

Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for you, your spouse, and/or dependents

Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN

Birth dates for all on the tax return

For married filing joint, both spouses must be present

All forms W2, W-2, 1099 and 1098

A copy of last year’s federal and state returns

Proof of bank account and routing information if choosing direct deposit or refund (e.g. voided check)

Total paid to daycare provider and their tax ID

Health insurance exemption certificate, if received

All forms 1095 health insurance statements