An Olmstead man accused of shooting another man during an altercation in July 2019 has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Russell McCarley, Jr., 37, plead guilty Friday, Sept. 4, 2020, to shooting Warren Bullard at an abandoned home at 253 E. Second Street in Russellville. The plea agreement was reached just 10 days before McCarley was set to stand trial.

McCarley entering a guilty plea to charges of Wanton Endangerment, 1st Degree; Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon; Assault, 4th Degree, Domestic Violence – Minor Injury; Tampering with Physical Evidence; Assault, 1st Degree; and three counts of Trafficking in a Controlled Substance, 2nd or Greater Offense– Meth., Cocaine, and Hydrocodone.

In exchange for McCarley’s plea of guilty, Commonwealth’s Attorney Neil Kerr agreed to recommend a prison sentence of 30 years.

According to Kerr, the charges stem from an altercation in Russellville in which McCarley shot Bullard in the pelvis as he was fleeing the scene of the altercation. Bullard was able to drag himself around to the back of a house and call 911. Soon thereafter, officers with the Russellville Police Department made contact with Misty Hyams, a witness to both the altercation and the shooting. During separate interviews with RPD Detectives Nicole Bibb, Kenneth Edmonds, and Chad Eggleston, both Hyams and Bullard identified McCarley as the shooter."

Kerr went on to say that during the investigation, RPD officers were led to a black backpack belonging to McCarley, which he had hidden immediately following the shooting. The backpack was labeled “Russell,” and contained a black semi-automatic Taurus TCP .380. A ballistic examination confirmed that the bullet removed from Bullard’s pelvis was fired from the same handgun. The bag also contained 12 grams of marijuana, nearly 13 grams of cocaine, four bags of methamphetamine totaling 48.6 grams, and 10 Hydrocodone pills. McCarley’s wallet and photo ID were also found in the bag.

“The investigation by the Russellville Police Department, in this case, was superb,” said Kerr. “From the collection of the evidence to the witness interviews, including that of the defendant, RPD handed me a very strong case to prosecute. I am very pleased to see their hard work result in a sentence of 30 years for the defendant.”

Following his guilty plea, McCarley agreed to waive separate final sentencing, and Circuit Judge Joe Hendricks sentenced him to serve 30 years.