If you have a barn or stable, you can help save a cat!
Sometimes the Humane Society has cats which cannot live as house pets. Cats in the barn cat program fall into three categories:
• Cats whose litterbox habits make them unsuitable for house pets
• Cats who are just too independent to appreciate being cooped up in cages at the shelter
• Cats who are shy/fearful of people, and prefer the company of other cats and animals
This is the last chance for some of these cats; they have nowhere else to go and for some, time is limited.
If you have a working barn or safe, heated outbuilding, there are cats who need you. Having a barn cat or cats will help keep down the rodent population. The cats will be helping you, while you provide them a safe place to live.
And, because these cats are already spayed/neutered, you won't have to worry about endless litters of kittens appearing!
All cats available for adoption to barns are spayed/neutered and vaccinated. When you adopt a barn cat(s), we will go over with you how to acclimate your new cat(s) to the barn and make them feel at home.
The adoption fee will be lower for barn cats. The cost helps us cover their alteration as well as vaccinations. Since many of these cats thrive on the company of other cats, we will be offering a discount when adopting more than one barn cat at one time.
The farm or barn owners who adopt the cats agree to give them:
• shelter in barns, buildings, or stables
• daily food and water - cats cannot live on mousing alone
• long-term veterinary care, as needed (they're neutered and vaccinated now)
• a secure place to keep them for the first 2-3 weeks, while they acclimate to your barn. This can be a tack room, or any secure indoor enclosure that they cannot escape from.
If you have a working barn or safe, heated outbuilding, there are cats who need you. Save a life and adopt a barn cat today. To find out what barn cats we have available, please call us at 726-2186 or come by and find out more information about the program.
The Logan County Humane Society is located in the back of the city/county park off of the 68-80 Bypass.