The public is cordially invited to take a Christmas down memory lane and tour the Auburn Museum, the First Presbyterian Church, and two local homes on the Auburn Historical Society Tour of Homes on Saturday, Dec. 16 from 3-5 p.m. Tickets for the entire tour can be purchased at the Auburn Museum at the beginning of the tour. The museum is located on Main Street in Auburn at the library. All proceeds will go to the Auburn Historical Society.
* The first to be toured is the Log Cabin at the Auburn Museum, which will feature vintage decorations and other artifacts of the 1800’s. The Auburn Historical Society had been working for several years on the cabin project. The option to find an old log cabin was virtually impossible, so the Auburn Historical Society chose to have an outstanding cabin built to replicate the type of cabin one would find in this area of Kentucky during the late 1800’s.
Auburn has a fine Museum, with over seven hundred artifacts. On this Museum property stands the Greenwood one room school, Circa 1880. The school is set up completely with desk, books and school artifacts. Also on the property is a two cell jail, housed in a building that Auburn started out with in 1865. The latest addition is the one hundred plus year old barn that has been moved to house antique farm equipment and old tools. Future plans are to have an old Victorian walking tour on the property.
* The second stop on the tour is the First Presbyterian Church, one of the 136 properties that are listed on the national Register of Historical places in Auburn. The church is located at 141 North Lincoln Street.
A group of 17 men and women met in Sept. 1865 in the school building in Auburn to discuss organizing a Presbyterian Church to serve the surrounding community. The Rev. James H. Morton of Russellville, Ky., was appointed chairman and Eldon H. Sloss as secretary. In Oct. 1865, the group sent their representative Mr. Asa Holland, an ordained elder, to a meeting of Logan Presbytery held in Pleasant Hill Church, Warren County, Ky., near Rockfield to ask admittance to the Presbytery, which was done; hence, Auburn Presbyterian Church, with it’s 17 charter members met in the school building, with new members added at each service for sometime.
The church has purchased a lot where the present building now stands, and in 1900 a new brick church building was constructed; being dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 7, 1901, with the Rev. Ira Landrith preaching the sermon. The first church building and manse were sold that year for $750. The second church building burned following morning service on Oct. 18, 1931, and in 1932 the present church building was erected, and dedicated in October 1932, with Dr. H.S. Murdoch preaching the service.
* The third stop on the tour is the lovely farm and home of Robert and Helen Chyle, 1497 Taylor Barrow Road near Auburn.
The Chyle home was built 33 years ago on property owned by the Chyle family for several generations. Robert Earl and Helen are so happy to have their two daughters on either side of them and their grandchildren are delighted to be close by.
The farming and cattle keep Robert Earl busy. Helen has a business “Unique Design Flowers,” which she enjoys. The business is located in their home.
* The fourth and final stop on the tour is the home of Barbara Marshall, located at 524 Elmwood Drive near Auburn. The home was built in 2001 and Marshall purchased the home in 2008.’
Marshall says this home was like a God send. He husband, Marvin died in Dec. of 2007. She knew she wanted to move to this subdivision, so she drove back Elmwood Drive quite often, but nothing was for sale. Marshall put her home in Brookhaven up for sale in April and then one night he oldest son called her and told her there would be a home for sale on Elmwood Drive soon.
The home is a three bedroom, two bath with a den, kitchen with dinning area, utility room with a garage and deck out back. She uses one bedroom as a den and playroom for the grandchildren.