The Russellville City Fire Department responded to a house fire at 695 East 5th street last week.
When fire crews arrived the vacant house was already fully involved with fire. Witness told the fire department that fireworks could have started the fire accidentally.
The house had been vacant for a number of years and the roof had already started to collapse so fire crews went into a defensive surround and drown technique to keep it from spreading to other structures. The fire department was on scene with the fire for three hours and had to call for the city backhoe to pull walls down so crews could get to the rest of the fire.
“I want to thank the fire department chaplains for supplying water and drinks for the fire crews,” said fire chief Billy Poole.
Since the extreme dry weather started the city fire department has responded to four fires due to dry conditions.
“I want to remind everyone to be extra careful during this very dry weather condition,” said Poole.