Hello again from famous Logan County, Kentucky. Home of a great LCHS baseball pitcher, Caleb Bruner, who pitched a perfect game the other day. His name is and he will now go down in Logan County history having pitched that once in a lifetime perfect game. I am glad he did it before our famous county superintendent of schools retires.
I attended the big fund raiser for the local volunteer fire fighters in Russellville last Saturday evening. They had a big BBQ and auction. What a crowd! The biggest one I have seen in a long while. Thinks they raised several thousand dollars for much needed expenses for the fire fighters.
The 10 Annual Adairville Car Show is this Saturday starting at 1 P.M. It will be on the square in Adairville. Tractors and motor cycles are invited to attend as well. The weather promises to be nice. You can enter your vehicle the day of the show. Just get there before noon if possible, pay the fees and get a spot. There are some beautiful trophies this year and this is always a fun event. Be sure and bring your own chair.
Earlier in the week the county fair board met jointly with the county tourism board at the Kentucky Agr. Extention Services Offices on the by-pass. Looks like there is going to be a real county fair this summer in Logan County. Chairman Lonnie Epley seems to be weathering the growing responsibilities as is the entire fair board. It is not going to be business as usual. People now see what they can do to begin building a real county fair for our county and it’s citizens. This is going to be a real learning experience for all. Some of the highlights of evolving plans are as follows:
1) Admission to the grounds will be free. (Some events will have a charge.)
2) The first event will be on Saturday July 27 in the new Agr. Building.
(To be announced.)
3) Mega Midway Rides will set up on Monday and open at 5 p.m. on Tuesday July 29.
(The huge midway/carnival will open daily at 5 p.m. Arm bands will be sold.)
4) Wednesday July 30 will be “Car Load Day” $30 for ride arm bands for the one price for all in one car. There will be free entertainment from 5 – 9 p.m. in covered shelter.
5) Thursday July 31 free music entertainment in covered shelter. Beauty Pageants for various age groups starting at 6 P.M. Inside headquarters building. Rides open 5 P.M. till closing. Many organizations and businesses will have displays and booths through the weekend.
6) BBQ competition (seeking teams now.) Call the Extension Service Office. There will be a big animal competitions, goats, cattle and other. Time and dates will be announced.
7) A new parking lot will hopefully be in place by the time of the fair.
8) Friday & Saturday August 1 & 2 will be full of activities, music, booths, rides and lots of good food.
9) Friday evening “Truck Tug of War” in the Agr. Competition Building. $8 admission. Children eight and under free.
10) Saturday evening will be a concert by country music star Marty Brown. This will be held in the new Agri Competition Building. Advance ticket sales will be $6. $8 at the gate. Children eight and under free.
The Logan County Tourism Commission will be working with the Fair Board to assist in putting on the fair this year. Look for a lot of hard work on the part of all board members.
Look for lots of publicity. More activities will be added. This promises to be the largest and best county fair in Logan County in more than 20 years. Watch the paper for more information.
Tell your kids that you love them. Be sure and vote on election day. Go to your place of worship if you have one and give thanks for all your many blessings.
Till next time. Good night Mrs. Calabash where ever you are.