Much to the chagrin of students (and teachers), the summer break from school is reaching an end.
Logan County schools begins for students in less than three weeks and Russellville students still have only about a month of summer vacation left.
And the two school district want parents to be aware of several upcoming dates that are important for them to be aware of.
Registration for new students in the Russellville Independent School District will be held on Monday, July 27, 2015, from 1-6p.m. at Stevenson Elementary School. Please note that this registration is for kindergarten through 12th grade students who are new to the district, not for returning students or preschoolers. Children turning age 3 or 4 by August 1, 2015, may schedule a screener for preschool by contacting Linda Shelton at (270) 726-8405, ext. 4316, or email at email@example.com.
New student registration for Logan County Schools will be July 20 and 21 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the individual schools.
Kentucky law requires that all children be enrolled in school between the ages of 6 and 18. Children can enter primary school at age 5, but only if their 5th birthday is on or before October 1, of the current school year. (For example, a 4-year-old who will turn 5 by October 1, may enroll in primary school this fall.)
The following documentation is required to register a new student in school:
• A legal birth certificate or other reliable documentation verifying proof of age and identification;
• A Kentucky certificate of immunization;
• Verification of a preventable health care examination conducted within one year prior to initial entry into the school program and another preventable health care examination within one year prior to entry into the 6th grade; a Head Start and/or preschool physical exam may suffice as the initial enrollment school physical;
• Verification of an eye examination by an optometrist or ophthalmologist, documented on the Kentucky School Eye Exam Form; (This form must be presented to the school no later than January 1, of the first year that a 5 or 6-year-old child is enrolled). and
• Verification of a dental screening or examination by a dentist, dental hygienist, physician, registered nurse, advanced registered nurse practitioner, or physician assistant, documented on the Kentucky Dental Screening Form. (This form must be presented to the school no later than January 1, of the first year that a 5 or 6-year-old child is enrolled).
Students who have previously attended another school district in Kentucky may be able to transfer some or all of the above documentation from their old school. However, students moving into Kentucky from another state must provide the documentation on the required Kentucky forms.
There will be a back-to-school bash/open house for Russellville Junior/Senior High School students on Thursday, July 30, 2015, from 5-7:30 p.m. A back-to-school bash for students attending Stevenson Elementary School will be held from 4-6 p.m. on Monday, August 3, 2015.
Back to school night for Chandlers, Auburn and Adairville will be Monday, July 27 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. And back to school night for Olmstead and Lewisburg will be Tuesday, July 28 from 5-7 p.m.