Russellville and Logan County got somewhere in the neighborhood of three to four inches of snow early Wednesday morning, causing several closures – including both school districts.
Both Logan County and Russellville Independent school districts called off classes early Wednesday morning and by that afternoon had already canceled for Thursday as well.
No decision has been made regarding Friday as of press time, but with another winter storm expected to arrive sometime late Friday morning, kids going to school on Friday is tenuous at best.
Russellville schools superintendent Leon Smith said this week that students will now be in class on Feb. 15 and March 25. Those days were built into the school calendar as makeup days. Any additional days missed will have to be made up at the end of the calendar, beginning with May 20.
Logan County schools superintendent Dr. Kevin Hub sent out an email this week to staff and parents about how his office will make decisions on whether to close or not during severe weather.
“Any Superintendent or Transportation Director will tell you that one of his/her most difficult decisions is whether to close, delay, or open school on days of inclement weather,” Hub said. “It is a difficult decision because it is based upon the probability of safely transporting our students. The process begins at 4 a.m. with several district personnel and weather spotters strategically located throughout the county traveling the roads to check on conditions. During this time, district officials are in consistent contact with law enforcement agencies, weather stations and other area superintendents and transportation directors for the latest update on the weather. We strive to make our decision no later than 5:30 a.m. in order to inform our district parents, students, and employees in a timely manner.”
Once the decision is made, however, it is subject to change.
“Because this decision is made rather early, there may be a need to make a revision later in the morning due to rapidly changing weather conditions,” Hub added. “It is important for parents to continue checking television and radio stations after the initial announcement, in the event weather conditions dictate a change. Although we realize these decisions are subject to second-guessing, I ask that you remember all decisions are based solely upon the safety of our children, and we will always err on the side of caution.”
To contact OJ Stapleton, email email@example.com or call 270-726-8394.