Benjamins trial date set for September

The murder trial of Gerald Allen Benjamins, who is accused of killing 36-year-old Brad Rigney will not be held until September 14 after Benjamins’ attorney asked for a continuance in the trial, which was supposed to begin last month.

“The defense requested that the trial date be changed to a later date,” said Commonwealth Attorney Gail Guiling. “They needed more time to consult with experts and obtain additional investigation on their part.”

So, the date of September 14 has been set as the new trial date in the murder case. Guiling said that she is confident that is a firm date, barring any extraordinary circumstances.

It will take place almost a year after Benjamins’ arrest. He was arrested Monday, Sept. 29, 2014, in Jeffersonville, Ind., after he was picked up at a soup kitchen in the southern Indiana town outside of Louisville.

According to RPD detective Kenneth Edmonds, Rigney and Benjamins met over the Internet and were online acquaintances.

In the early part of the investigation into the murder, Benjamins was identified as a possible suspect and interviewed by Edmonds on Jan. 17, 2014.

“Some of the things he said during the interview just didn’t add up,” Edmonds said.

DNA evidence from Rigney’s bedroom was sent away for testing and after several months, it was discovered to be a match to Benjamins, who denied ever being in Rigney’s home.

Once it was confirmed that Benjamins had been inside Rigney’s home, the Russellville Police began looking for him.

When he was interviewed in January, Benjamins was living in Hopkinsville, but had since moved on, Edmonds said.

“He had been living in missions and asking churches for help,” Edmonds said. “We were able to track him to the bus station in Bowling Green and found that he rode to Louisville, which is where we started looking for him.”

He was then ultimately picked up in Jeffersonville.

Edmonds said the initial list of suspects was quite large as the RPD had names of several possible acquaintances, but Benjamins first became a suspect when a car he was driving, a gold PT Cruiser, while living in Hopkinsville was seen at Rigney’s home around the time of the murder by both neighbors and the mailman, Edmonds said.

During the interview, Benjamins admitted to being an online acquaintance of Rigney, but denied ever meeting him in person, but in addition to the physical DNA evidence, Edmonds said he also discovered that Benjamins had gotten directions to Rigney’s home.

According to the RPD, Benajamins was originally from Hogdenville, but had been living in California for several years before moving back to Kentucky about a year to a year and a half ago.

The police got the call to investigate the killing at approximately 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013, and responded to a call at 524 Rhea Blvd. Upon arriving at the residence, Rigney’s body was found.

The RPD issued a statement soon after the killing that said it was not believed to be a random act of violence because Rigney possibly knew his attacker or attackers.

The RPD investigators worked with other agencies, including the FBI, Kentucky State Police, Louisville Metro Police and the Nashville Metro Police, in order to find out information that helped lead to the identity of Rigney’s killer.

Rigney, who was deaf, lived alone at the Rhea Blvd. residence. His body was first discovered by his brother and sister-in-law, who then called 911.

An autopsy was performed on Sunday, Dec. 29, 2013, and the preliminary indication was that Rigney had died from blunt force trauma to the head.

comments powered by Disqus