A plaque noting Bethel College connections has been mounted on the front gate of the house on West 7th Street, now owned by Jeff and Shelly Lawson.
Some of the original structural parts of the N. Long Hall dormitory are incorporated into the house, which was built by Marvin Stuart after the college building burned in 1947.
The plaque is an addition to the project under way to erect a Kentucky Historical Highway Marker for Bethel College, which closed in 1933. No public sign presently exists to explain that Bethel Shopping Center is located on the site of the original campus. The marker is to be placed on the green space in front of the First Southern National Bank on Bethel Street for prominent visibility.
A committee was formed earlier this year to make application for the marker. Once the application was approved by the Kentucky Historical Society, fundraising began and the $2,500 needed in donations was reached.
the house is one of three Russellville “Homes with History” that will be open for tours Oct. 3 on Hometown History Day, an established event of the Tobacco & Heritage Festival that calls attention to the rich and diverse history of Logan County.